Taking the bottom stiffener fabric (a piece of the blue paisley print wrapped around some heavy cardboard) I ripped the stitches out and ironed it flat. Then I cut out two strips from the blue paisley print which I sewed together on the purse to make a binding for the green side. This hid the upside-down zipper. To make up for lack of zipper, I added a fastener out of a little of the blue paisley remnant and a bit of Velcro.
Next I cut of the old handles leaving just a half-inch so that I could sew the edge over and eliminate the raw edges. After adding new handles with coordinating fabric, the new bag is done.