Brian asked Owen if he would be able to eat one now that he knew it had black beans in it. His answer: yes. Success!
* * *
Chocolate Brownies***This recipe was printed in the January edition of Everyday Food magazine under the name Triple Chocolate Brownies and can also be found here on the Martha Stewart website. The recipe below has the adaptions I made.
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup black beans, rinsed, drained, and pureed until completely smooth
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 in baking dish with cooking spray. In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine butter, bean puree, and chocolates and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring each time, until melted and smooth, about 2 minutes. Whisk in sugar, eggs and egg white, and vanilla until smooth.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir into chocolate mixture until just combined. Pour batter into pan; smooth top. Bake until top is cracked and a toothpick inserted in center has moist crumbs attached, about 25 minutes (center will seem undercooked but will set further as it cools). Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.