Sunday, April 15, 2012

Near the Cross

Near the Cross
words by Fanny Crosby

Jesus, keep me near the cross,
There a precious fountain
Free to all, a healing stream
Flows from Calvary’s mountain.

Near the cross, a trembling soul,
Love and mercy found me;
There the bright and morning star
Sheds its beams around me.

Near the cross! O Lamb of God,
Bring its scenes before me;
Help me walk from day to day,
With its shadows o’er me.

Near the cross I’ll watch and wait
Hoping, trusting ever,
Till I reach the golden strand,
Just beyond the river.

Refrain:
In the cross, in the cross,
Be my glory ever;
Till my raptured soul shall find
Rest beyond the river.

* * *

The angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city. ~Revelation 22:1-2

1 comment:

Frances said...

I've always had such love for this hymn, Kati. But yet the words are as fresh now as if I had never read them. So many of the hymns that you share make such genuine and heartfelt prayers. "Jesus, keep me near the cross." When we know that need deep down in our souls, it's hard to keep the tears from flowing.