Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas!

Since Christmas falls on a Sunday this year, I am putting a hymn up like I do every Sunday but with it being a special day, I thought I would do things a little different and put a music video of the hymn, too. This was a poem by Christina Rossetti and it was put to music by Gustav Holst. Then Twila Paris sang it on her Christmas album, It's the Thought (which we always play on Christmas morning while we open gifts).

Merry Christmas to all my blog friends out there! Hope you have a wonderful day celebrating the birth of our savior.



In the Bleak Midwinter
by Christina Rossetti

In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, long ago.

Our God, Heaven cannot hold Him, nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away when He comes to reign.
In the bleak midwinter a stable place sufficed
The Lord God Almighty, Jesus Christ.

Enough for Him, whom cherubim, worship night and day,
Breastful of milk, and a mangerful of hay;
Enough for Him, whom angels fall before,
The ox and ass and camel which adore.

Angels and archangels may have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim thronged the air;
But His mother only, in her maiden bliss,
Worshipped the beloved with a kiss.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.

* * *

She gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped Him in cloths and placed Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn. --Luke 2:7-8

1 comment:

Frances said...

Kati, I tried to watch this yesterday but couldn't get it to work. I'm so glad it is working today. What a beautiful song. I've always particularly loved the last verse.

I hope your Christmas Day was full of joy!