Spice-y, pumpkin-y, this was my birthday cake for many a year. I'm not a big fan of pumpkin things ordinarily but this is so good!
Pumpkin Layer Cake
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, soften
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice, plus more for sprinkling
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
1 can pumpkin
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, using mixer, beat in butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.; beat in canned pumpkin.
4. With mixer on low speed gradually add flour mixture; mix just until combined.
5. Divide batter between prepared pans. Smooth top, and tap pans on work surface several times times to eliminate large air bubbles. Bake until toothpick inserted comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Cool 15 minutes in pans; run knife around edge of pans, and invert cakes on wire rack to cool completely.
Creamy spiced frosting:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room-temperature
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, room-temperature
1 box (3 3/4 cups) confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
In large bowl, using mixer, beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Mix in pumpkin pie spice.