I've made this cake for birthday parties, soup suppers, and dinners. The lemon flavor is such a big hit and with the candied lemons, it gives the cake an extra special look. I've also added fresh thyme or rosemary as a garnish in addition to the candied lemons.
Lemon Layer Cake
this recipe was originally found on the
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon zest
2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup buttermilk
1 lemon, thinly sliced and seeded
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9 inch cake pans with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. With mixer on low, beat in eggs and yolks, one at a time. Beat in 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix just until combined.
4. Divide batter between pans; smooth tops. Bake until cakes pull away from sides of pans, 32 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pans 10 minutes. Run a knife around edges of pans and invert cakes onto a wire rack.
Candied Lemon Slices
1. While cakes are baking, bring remaining 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a saucepan. Add lemon slices and simmer 25 minutes.
2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer lemon slices to a waxed-paper-lined plate. Stir remaining 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice into syrup.
3. Using a toothpick, poke holes in warm cakes on rack. Brush with lemon syrup. Let cool completely.
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 box confectioner's sugar (3 3/4 cups)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon milk
1. Place butter in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed until fluffy, 30 second.
2. Stop the machine and add confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and milk. Blend with the mixer on low speed until the sugar is incorporated, 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, 1 more minute. Add in up to 2 tablespoons of milk until icing is a spreadable consistency.
Frost cooled cakes and top with candied lemon slices.